Thursday, February 24, 2011

The James Stapleton Lewis Families Project

James Stapleton Lewis himself was a genealogist. In the 1880s he compiled the names of many of his family members, as well as the families of his first wife Anna Jones and his second wife Mary Swenson.  Apparently he had this recorded in some sort of a notebook or ledger book. What a find that would be if it still exists in someone's basement or attic!

JSL (as the family refers to him to save writing that long name) was born February 22, 1814 near Bellbrook, in Sugar Creek Township, Greene County, Ohio. I started this blog on the 197th anniversary of his birth. His parents Rachel Stapleton and Joel Lewis Sr. were American pioneers in every sense. They followed early pioneer trails from North Carolina through the Cumberland Gap to Kentucky and then to Ohio.

Though James eventually left the midwest and continued the pioneer's quest to Utah and Idaho, he remained in contact with family members still in Indiana and Ohio. One of the goals of the JSL Families Project is to bring far-flung family members together again - through technology if not in person. Maybe we'll figure out a way to have a family reunion with virtual elements to celebrate his 200th birthday in three years!

If you'd like to read a well-written biography of the life of James Stapleton Lewis, check out the one written by Janis Durfee (a Lewis cousin I met because of our common interest in JSL). It's on Janis' website genealogybyjan.com

1 comment:

  1. It was sweet of Lyn to be complimentary of the biography I wrote of JSL. :) Actually, it was her history of Grandfather Lewis that intrigued me and made me want to learn more about him! For years, I wished that I could meet Lyn, and now here we are, close cousins and working together on this JSL Families project. I am really excited about this project. I have heard from several of our Lewis Cousins---some of whom are very dear to me. We have become "family" as we have visited at the reunions and shared information. And I am hearing from "new" cousins who are joining in this effort. This is going to be a choice experience.

    ReplyDelete